Sep 3, 2014 >> Back-to-School with Jourdan Fairchild [VIDEO]
We’re getting schooled in DIY with master crafter Jourdan Fairchild. As part of our Art-focused September issues, we’re celebrating Jourdan’s new e-book Fly DIY with a boozy back to school special! Let’s put a disclaimer on that: the boozy part is for the parents and the back-to-school part is for the kiddos. Armed with a boatload of supplies, Jourdan cues up collegiate color combos for an easy DIY that transforms boring school supplies into marble-print perfection with nail polish.
Watch the video below to see Jourdan take us through this crafty project with some dips, a little hips and a lot of sips. Find the detailed instructions below, along with a list of materials you’ll need to complete the project—pink bubbly not included.
Can’t get enough of art projects and looking to break out your inner crafter? Download Fly DIY which features 12 original art projects perfect for the traveler, girl on-the-go and thrifty artist. And just when you thought Jourdan’s crafts for the modern traveler couldn’t get any sweeter, she’s donating 10% of the proceeds to Watering Malawi. A true product of blood, sweat and glue, we couldn’t be more excited to see Jourdan turn her inventive designs into crafting for a cause.
+ + + + +
NAIL POLISH MARBLED SCHOOL SUPPLIES
by Jourdan Fairchild
What you’ll need:
BOWL / PLASTIC WRAP / NAIL POLISH /
SCHOOL SUPPLIES / PARCHMENT PAPER / PAPER TOWEL
How to do it:
1. Prep supplies you plan to marble by applying masking tape to any sections you don’t want painted.
2. Line a bowl with plastic wrap and full ¾ full with water–make sure the bowl is big enough to dip your school supplies in.
3. Pour nail polish into water–continue pouring until the top of the water is saturated. Apply other colors as desired.
4. Press your item into the polish, allowing the polish to immediately adhere to the item’s surface.
Dip any sections not covered into the polish until entire item is covered–make sure to move swiftly, as nail polish can dry fast.
5. Lay item marbled side up atop a sheet of parchment or wax paper. Let dry 10 minutes, then use a paper towel to dab away any air bubbles. Remove tape for the big reveal.