Oct 28, 2013 >> Halloween Drink recipes with Rochelle Trotter
It’s our Fourth Annual G&F Halloween Special (watch it here!), and this year, we got all dolled up to belly up to the bar with lifestyle expert Rochelle Trotter. The TV Personality and wife of chef Charlie Trotter mixed up some intoxicatingly spooky cocktails just in time for Halloween. And what’s even better? These drinks may look complicated, but the recipes are more treat than trick. With a few unexpected surprises and some exotic-looking ingredients, Rochelle is taking your Halloween cocktail party to the next level this year. And we happily will sip along with her.
A // BOO BREW #1: SOJU THINK YOU WANT A GREEN MARTINI?
3 oz Soju (available at any liquor store)
*For non-alcoholic version, substitute Soju for white cranberry juice, ginger ale or white grape juice
3 oz Apple Juice
1 oz Seltzer Water
1 thin slice Granny Smith apple
Black Sugar (for rim)
Green Food Coloring
1.Garnish the rim of your martini glass with Black Sugar.
2. Mix equal parts Soju, seltzer and apple juice in a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake lightly and strain the cocktail into martini glass.
3.Using a toothpick drop tiny bits of green food coloring into the cocktail until desired color is achieved. Stir to even out color.
4. Garnish with apple slice.
B // BOO BREW #2: DARK NIGHT RISING
3 oz Black Vodka
*For non-alcoholic version, substitute vodka for black or tart cherry juice. It won’t separate like the black vodka, but it will achieve a similar murky look when stirred!
3 oz Mango/Tangerine Juice
Black Licorce stick (for straw)
1. Fill chimney glass 3/4 full with crushed ice.
2. Pour 3oz very cold fresh Mango/Tangerine juice into the glass. Mix equal parts fresh juiced mango with fresh tangerine juice.
3. Using a chilled silver tablespoon, gently pour 3oz of Black Vodka into the glass down the back of the spoon.
4. Cut the ends off of a piece of black licorice and use that as a straw for the drink.
BLAVOD BLACK VODKA is available to order on-line here.
C // BOO BREW #3: HERE’S LOOKING AT YOU, ROSEMARY’S BABY
Bottle of Cava
*For non-alcoholic version, substitute cava for sparkling white grapefruit juice or ginger ale.
2 cups Fresh Raspberries
1/4 cup Granulated Sugar
2/3 cup of water
For the Raspberry Syrup
1. Place raspberries, sugar and rosemary into a heavy stainless steel saucepan and bring to a boil.
2. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, until reduced by 1/2.
3. Strain mixture through a fine sieve into a glass bowl and allow to cool.
4. Transfer syrup to a glass jar, cover tightly and refrigerate until ready to use. May be made 2 days in advance.
To Make The Drink
1. Fill a champagne flute 3/4 full with Cava.
2. Add 2 teaspoons of the Raspberry syrup to the glass.
3. Stir slightly to mix.
4. Garnish with a rosemary sprig containing an “eyeball.”
For Devil’s Eyeball Garnish
Lychee Fruit (canned and pitted)
Dark Chocolate Chip Morsels
1. Remove the stems from the cherries.
2. Insert a chocolate chip, point side in, into each cherry to make the “pupil” of the eye.
3. Stuff the cherry into the pit of the lychee nut fruit to complete the eyeball.
4. Refrigerate, covered, until ready for use. May be made 1 day in advance.
5. When ready to use, insert a small spring of rosemary into the side of each eye to serve as the “holder” for each eyeball over the flute.
For more on Rochelle’s lifestyle tips, follow her on twitter @RochelleTrotter